About Back Pain Interventions Associated
Back Pain Interventions was founded by Mark Brown M.D. At Back Pain Interventions, our goal is to help our patients control their symptoms and maintain productive lives.
Dr. Mark Brown, M.D.
Dr. Brown is a board-certified anesthesiologist and a board-certified pain medicine physician who has been practicing medicine in Houston for over 22 years. He has seen first-hand the devastating effect that back pain can have on a person’s life. This experience has led Dr. Brown to focus his efforts on the treatment of back pain through interventional techniques which are localized and specific, targeting the cause of the pain directly. By virtue of his background in anesthesiology, Dr. Brown possesses an in-depth knowledge of medications and their effects on the body, coupled with a thorough understanding of the complex anatomy of the back and spine.
Dr. Brown is frequently asked to speak at medical symposiums and community events.
- Bachelor of Arts; St. Mary’s University, San Antonio, TX; summa cum laude 1975-1979
- Doctor of Medicine; University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, Oklahoma, OK; 1979-1983
- Board Certifications:
- American Board of Anesthesiology: 1989
- American Board of Anesthesiology, Certificate in Pain Management: 1998
- American Academy of Pain Management: 1991
- Professional Memberships:
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Texas Society of Anesthesiologists
- Texas Medical Association
- Harris County Medical Society
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
Robert D. Dripps, M.D. Memorial Award to Outstanding Graduate in Anesthesiology
Cathy Brown, DNP, APRN, CNS
Cathy Brown is a founder and partner of Back Pain Interventions, Associated, with a distinguished career in a variety of medical disciplines. Her resume includes service for St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital in Houston as well as Kelsey-Seybold Clinic and Caremark Home Care. Her training and education, in combination with her experience as a manager, supervisor, and director, make her uniquely qualified for her work at Back Pain Interventions, Associated and her concern for the safety and comfort of Dr. Mark Brown’s patients is a hallmark of her approach to her profession.
- San Jacinto College Central, Pasadena, TX - Associate of Science in Nursing, 1983
- University of Texas Health Science Center Houston, Houston, TX Bachelor of Science in Nursing, magna cum laude 1990
- University of Texas Health Science Center Houston, Houston, TX Masters of Science in Nursing, Gerontological Clinical Nurse Specialist, 1994
- University of Texas at Arlington Doctor of Nursing Practice
- NCLEX State of Texas, Registered Nurse 1983
- Advanced Practice Nurse Recognition: Clinical Nurse Specialist-Gerontological Nursing 1995
- Reiki Practitioner, First Degree 2010
- Reiki Practitioner, Second Degree 2010
- 2015 Certified Professional Compliance Officer
- 1984 - 1987 National Association of Orthopedic Nurses
- 1986 - 1990 American Association of Neuroscience Nurses
- 1992 - 1996 American Association of Ambulatory Care Nurses
- 2001 - 2012 Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses
- 2003 Women of Excellence awarded by the Federation of Houston Professional Women
Daisy Espadin, Medical Assistant
Daisy has been a medical assistant for back Pain Intervention Associated (BPIA) since 2013. Graduated from the Texas School of Business 2004. She is bilingual in English and Spanish.
Daisy - I've choose to be in the medical field because it is a wonderful and rewarding career. I formerly worked for a Chiropractor as a physical and massage therapist, I also instructed aquatic therapy for 12 years. My therapeutic technics and expertise are helping patients become motivated through the healing process and recovery. I myself live with a herniated disc for many years and can relate to patient needs.
My career goal is to keep up with the ever changing rules, regulations and laws in the medical profession. I continue to strive to make a visit to the doctor's office a positive and good experience for each patient.